I love those “you know you’re from…” lists you see on sites like Facebook. Well, I came up with my own New Jersey list. I would love to hear if you think I missed anything!
- You’ve been seriously injured at Action Park (probably on the Alpine Slide).
- You know that the only people who call it “Joisey” are from New York (usually The Bronx) or Texas.
- You don’t think of citrus when people mention “The Oranges.”
- You know that it’s called “Great Adventure,” not “Six Flags.”
- Coffee and a buttered roll is a perfectly acceptable breakfast.
- You went to Seaside Heights for prom weekend.
- You know what a “jug handle” is and how to properly negotiate one.
- You go “down the shore” and not “to the beach.”
- Your school cafeteria made very good Italian subs.
- You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.
- You knew that the last question had to do with driving.
- You know where to get a freshly cooked taylor ham egg and cheese sandwich at 2 am.
- You don’t think “What exit” is very funny.
- Every year, you had at least two kids in your class named Tony, Michael, Vito, and Marie
- You know the location of every “clip” shown in the Sopranos opening credits.
- You know that “youse” is not a synonym for utilize but for y’all.
- You’ve never pumped your own gas.
- You can’t stand PA drivers.
- You know that there are bakeries which are not part of a supermarket, but actual individual stores.
- At least half the people you knew in high school went to Rutgers.
- You know that you cannot visit “the boards” in Seaside Heights without stopping by Midway for the best sausage, pepper and onion or cheese steak.
- You know that the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are IN New Jersey, NOT New York.
- It’s a sub, not a hoagie
- You call pizza without toppings “plain,” not “cheese” and you have at least one Uncle that calls it a “tomato pie.”
- You have paid a toll with a hook shot from the passenger side of the car.
- You know there are TWO Jerseys… North and South and they ARE very different.
- You don’t understand why people look at you funny when you order fries with mozzarella and brown gravy.
- You know what taylor ham is.
- There is an ongoing debate between your friends – Jimmy Buffs or Rutt’s Hut.
- You consider taking your car to inspection one of the traumatic events in an individual’s life.
- You know it’s pronounced “Nork,” not “New-ark” and how to properly pronounce Boonton.
- You don’t understand how people eat Sunday dinner after 3:00 p.m.
- You remember seeing concerts at the Capitol Theater.
- You felt that two of the best places to go were Pizza Town and the Short Stop.
- Everyone has an opinion on the best diner in Jersey.
4 thoughts on “What My New Jersey Is…”
Cool list. My favorites are #31 and #35. I’m a Newark native and I’ve had to explain the pronunciation a lot. Also I’m a foodie so whenever I’m hungry, I think about getting the best diner food! (I’m a true Jersey Girl!)
Thanks! Glad you liked it!
love this Andrea! I can relate to all of them! 🙂